A native of Monticello, Mississippi, Michael S. Smith, II, has dedicated his entire life to serving others. After graduating from Lawrence County High School with a 4.0 GPA, Michael enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. During his eight years in the Marine Corps, Michael completed two tours of duty in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom where he served as an infantry squad leader in charge of 15 Marines. He was honorably discharged after achieving the rank of sergeant in 2009.
After graduating cum laude from both the University of Mississippi and the University of Mississippi School of Law, Michael spent his first years as an associate at one of Mississippi’s largest and most respected law firms. Michael is an experienced litigator both in the courtroom and in the conference room. That experience has led to the recovery of over $150M in settlements and trial verdicts for his clients.
In 2015, Michael was honored by his peers when named an AV-rated attorney. Martindale-Hubbell defines an AV-rating as “[a] significant rating accomplishment – a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.”
When not in the courtroom, Michael can usually be found wetting a hook on one of Mississippi’s many beautiful lakes or spending time with his family. Outside of his family and the Marine Corps, Michael considers finishing the 2011 Marine Corps Marathon as one of his greatest accomplishments. Running as part of Team Hire Heroes USA, Michael helped raise over $50,000 to assist in helping unemployed veterans find sustainable employment.
He and his family reside in Madison, Mississippi, and attend Pinelake Church-Madison.
- Mississippi State Courts
- United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
Educational and Professional Background:
- J.D., University of Mississippi, cum laude
- B.B.A., University of Mississippi, cum laude
Professional Organizations and Affiliations:
- The Mississippi Bar
- Capital Area Bar Association
- Madison County Bar Association
- Jackson Young Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (Life Member)
- The American Legion
- Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
- Marine Corps League
- Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership
- We Will Go Ministries, Volunteer
- Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project, Volunteer Attorney
- Sunnybrook Children’s Home, Volunteer
- Pinelake Church